Google+ House Revivals: New Star Design from Vintage Bookpages

Sunday, November 27, 2011

New Star Design from Vintage Bookpages

Okay, this isn't a "new design".  I actually made this last Christmas, but never had time to write a post about it during the holidays.  The original idea was to create a kind of "shadow box" and add a nativity silhouette in the center, but on a whim I suspended a pretty ornament in the center, instead.

Basically, this is a star made from rolled vintage book pages.  I used an old pen to roll the pages all the same size, then secured each little roll with a smidgen of tacky glue.  Next, I made a pattern for a five-pointed star, using this method.



Then, a back was cut from scrap cardboard, and covered with book pages.  The first course of paper tubes was glued to the edges of the back piece.
This is how the back looks, from behind.

The second course was layered on.  To stabilize the courses, I added short pieces of rolled pages and rested each consecutive course atop the two pieces.  It probably wasn't totally necessary to do it this way, but it made the star stronger, and kept the courses even.
I just trimmed to the correct length as I went along.

After about six or seven layers, I added a flat cardboard layer and covered it with vintage book pages.  Then, I added the last several layers, creating a shadow box. 

This star would look great leaning on a mantel, topping a tree, or used horizontally as part of a holiday centerpiece.

I think mine will go on the mantel at the beach house.

To see some other types of stars made from vintage book pages, go here to see a tutorial for a woven star...

....or go here to see how to make a dimensional five-pointed star in any size!

You might also like this post about creating card making kits.



If you enjoyed this post, please subscribe to House Revivals in the sidebar, so you won't miss the fun projects we have planned. Find us on Facebook, too, so you can catch all the "in between" stuff, and see what I'm working on throughout week on Instagram. Feel free to link today's project to your favorite social media sites.

Thanks so much for stopping by!
~Amanda