Google+ House Revivals: Driftwood Magnifying Glass Handle

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Driftwood Magnifying Glass Handle

First of all, I want to start out by saying I LOVE this idea! Second, it's not my idea.


I saw a tutorial for making a rustic magnifying glass handle, using a stick, by my friend Gina at Shabby Creek Cottage.



I wanted to try her idea, but I don't have a lot of trees -- I have dune grass. What I do have is driftwood!


Driftwood turned out to be a perfect material for making a decorative magnifying glass. I picked up a cheap magnifying glass for two dollars at the local hardware store.


I was able to remove the handle by unscrewing it.


I chose a piece of driftwood, and sawed off the end so I would end up with a flat solid surface and sanded it lightly.  Next, I drilled a small hole in end of the driftwood -- just a bit smaller than the screw end of the magnifying glass.

The lens was then carefully screwed into the new handle. You can secure the lens with a small drop of E600 or Gorilla Glue (be careful, Gorilla Glue grows, and dries white).


This is one of the quickest crafts I've ever done! Wouldn't it make a great Father's day gift?


Be sure to check out Gina's tutorial for more detailed instructions.


For another "beachy" craft, try this paper mache starfish tutorial.


Or try this tutorial for faux coral.


Thank you so much for stopping by!

If you enjoyed this post, please subscribe to House Revivals, so you won't miss any of the fun projects we have planned for future posts.